Boochcraft Company Impact Report 2020
Every year, we publish an impact report that details our “give back” initiatives. From regenerative agriculture to renewable energy, we’re trying to do business the right way and live our values meaningfully.
Take a look at what we were up to in 2020!
HEIRLOOM & 1% FOR THE PLANET PARTNERSHIPS
Our Heirloom series cultivates a collaborative effort to support regenerative agriculture and organic family farms, a percentage of every Heirloom bottle sold contributes to our growing partnership with 1% for the planet.
KISS THE GROUND | FARMLAND
In partnership with our Heirloom Kiwi release and Wild River Farm.
Funded $10,000 towards the Kiss the Ground Farmland program.
Will help three or more farmers transition to regenerative agriculture through comprehensive training.
Here’s a little more on our journey in Regenerative Agriculture!
REGENERATIVE ORGANIC ALLIANCE
In partnership with Heirloom Peach and Masumoto Family Farm.
- Funded $10,000 towards the Regenerative Organic Alliance Certification launch.
- Will help launch a certification that will require certified farms to use practices that ensure healthy soil, the ethical and humane treatment of animals, and fairness for farmers & workers.
ZERO FOODPRINT | RESTORE CALIFORNIA
In partnership with Heirloom Sangria and Powicana Farm.
- Funded $10,000 towards Zero Foodprint Restore CA Fund, helping farmers to implement carbon farming projects. (composting, hedgerows, grazing, cover crop)
- We are in good company: List of Participating Restaurants.
- Used 100% fresh Petite Sirah grapes from Powicana.
SUBSTAINABILITY & COMMUNITY IMPACT
WILD WILLOW FARM | FARM TO FAMILIES
Funded $20,000 towards participating families with limited access to fresh produce who received weekly organic CSA boxes for 3 months
Each participating member and their families had access to cooking, nutrition, and gardening education classes.
At the end of the program, Wild Willow facilitated a garden build or gave access to a local community garden for those without garden space.
Paid $41,706 in Fair Trade Sugar premiums which go directly to benefit farmers and address local community needs in India.
Over 200 small farmers benefit from our premiums.
Previous benefits have included:
- Computers for 4 schools attended by 26 local villages.
- Lights for farmers watering sugarcane in the early morning or evening.
All products are Fair Trade Certified and labeled through Fair For Life.
Our composting directly reduces the impact on the local landfill while providing organic compost for use at local farms and gardens as opposed to chemical fertilizers.
Here is a glance at our growth in composting pounds between 2017-2020:
2017: 80,183 lbs
2018: 171,087 lbs
2019: 560,558 lbs
2020: 854,406 lbs
NET ZERO ENERGY FACILITY
- Purchased 780 Renewable Energy Certificates (780 MWh) investing in the Ashtabula Wind project in North Dakota. (Equivalent to the electricity used to power 72.14 homes)
- Purchased 120 Carbon Offsets investing in the Prairie Winds project in North Dakota. (Equivalent to the emissions of 318,089 vehicle miles)
- Partnered with Bonneville Environmental Foundation for these certificates and offsets, as a result, Boochcraft is now a Net Zero Production Facility.
Pretty neat stuff, huh? Find out how we were able to transition into a 100% Wind-Powered Facility.
FAMILY FARMER WILDFIRE RELIEF
- Donated $5000 to the Family Farmer Emergency Fund through CAFF (Community Alliance with Family Farmers) in Southern California.
- Prompted by Jessica Gilman, our Supply Chain Manager, in response to the California wildfires in an effort to help support our farmers that are the foundation of our product. Thank you Jess!